Enrollment at Crater Lake is open to any student in grades K-12 living in Southern Oregon and surrounding areas that can attend our Learning Center a minimum of 30 minutes per week; Regardless of their “neighborhood school” as determined by local school districts.
Each Spring the Crater Lake Academy Board sets a cap on the number of students that can be enrolled the following school year. Once the cap has been set the annual lottery process can begin.
For the 2021/2022 school year, the schoolwide cap at CLCA has been set at 375 students. Grade level caps are as follows:
- Kindergarten – 15 Students
- 1st Grade – 15 Students
- 2nd Grade – 20 Students
- 3rd Grade – 20 Students
- 4th Grade – 20 Students
- 5th Grade – 25 Students
- 6th Grade – 30 Students
- 7th Grade -30 Students
- 8th Grade – 30 Students
- 9-10th Grade – 110 Students
- 11th Grade – 35 Students
- 12th Grade – 25 Students
Education Programs will be defined as:
- Elementary Education Programs:
- Kindergarten Elementary Center: Kindergarten
- Early Elementary Center: 1st & 2nd Grades
- Middle Elementary Center: 3rd & 4th Grades
- Upper Elementary Center: 5th Grade
- Middle School Education Programs:
- Middle School Center: 6th-8th Grades
- Secondary Education Programs:
- High School Center: 9th-12th Grades
If there are more students currently in a grade level than the cap allotment for the next grade cap level, they will all be allowed to enter the next grade, exceeding the set grade level cap, with an adjustment being made to the other grade levels so as to not exceed the total program level caps. Grades kindergarten through 8th will comprise the K-8 School Programs and will not exceed a total of 205 students. Grades 9th through 12th will comprise the High School Education Programs, and the total number of students will not exceed 170.
If a grade-level waitilist is fully exhausted, the Administration may select a student at another grade-level, even if it exceeds the grade-level cap. Placement will follow waitilist order (chronological date).
All currently enrolled students at CLA for the 2020/2021 school year will start the registration process on April 1, 2021. Starting on April 1, 2021, all new students wishing to enroll with CLA for the next school year will have to fill out the 2021/2022 Intent to Enroll Form. This identifies the students who will be pulled in the Lottery held on May 5, 2021.
CLA Lottery– The Open Enrollment process runs from April 1st to April 30th. April 30th the school will close the open enrollment list and process all properly filed student and current student sibling applications for automatic enrollment. Siblings of returning students are given priority enrollment as long as there is space in their grade level, at which point the sibling will be given preference placement on the waitlist. On May 5, 2021, the school will hold the annual lottery draw to fill any remaining seats open after the automatic enrollments are submitted.
CLA Intent to Enroll Process – Students who intend to enroll with CLA, either for placement in the annual lottery, or placement on the waitlist, will have to complete all steps in the Intent to Enroll Process before they can be placed on the waitlist. The timestamp for their placement on the waitlist will be from the time that all the Intent to Enroll Processes have been completed.
Intent to Enroll process includes the following steps (meetings include student and legal guardian):
- Submitting Intent to Enroll form on CLA’s website
- Initial meeting with CLA representative (meeting may be in person or virtually)
- Academic Review Meeting, the meeting will be in person with a CLA academic advisor
- Current EPSD9 Student: Joint meeting with CLA representative and EPSD9 representative to review appropriate program placement for students.
- Non EPSD9 Student: Meeting with CLA representative to review appropriate program placement for students.
- SPED/504 Identified Student: Joint meeting with CLA representative and EPSD9 SPED representative to review appropriate program placement for students.
CLA Waiting List – Students not chosen in the drawing, and any students who apply after April 30th, will constitute the 2021/2022 school waiting list. Names on the list will be pulled as they were entered in chronological order and following the set grade level caps. Names on the 2020/2021 waitlist do NOT automatically roll over to the 2021/2022 waitlist.
CLA Registration – In order for students who were selected in the lottery to accept their seat in the school, they will need to submit registration forms by Sunday, May 9, 2021. Registration instructions will be passed out the night of the lottery and posted on the website. If a family is not in attendance at the Lottery draw, it is their responsibility to call the front office for instructions, while still adhering to deadlines.
Please let us know if you have any further questions about the enrollment lottery!
For more detailed information please contact our office at (541) 879-3620.