We have sad news at our school today. We learned of the death of one of our students. We are deeply saddened by this news and we are sending our deepest sympathies to friends and families. On Monday we will be supporting our students by setting up a Care Room at our High School Campus. The room will be staffed by specially trained members of our Crisis Response Team. We encourage all of our staff to spend time allowing students to share their reactions. For those students needing extra time to talk, the care room will be available and will remain open as long as necessary.
Below is a list of ways to show support for Teens:
- Express sympathy directly – “I’m sorry this happened to you”.
- Be available to listen.
- Respect his/her need to be alone.
- Give hugs or flowers, cook a favorite food, lend a teddy bear.
- Find out if s/he wants to do “routine” activities or wants a break.
- Tell him/her about any support groups of peers who are also grieving.
- Ask if s/he wants to keep a journal or diary.
- Ask him/her about addressing a letter of “regrets and appreciations” to the person who has died.